UKHOZI GIRLS CLUB
WHO ARE WE?
Ukhozi girls club is a girl’s only club in Joe Slovo Park, Milnerton, Cape Town. The club serves to motivate and empower girls, encourage them to gain self-confidence and have a positive mind-set that they won’t view their backgrounds as a limitation to achieve their dreams. Ukhozi will help them stay away from the social ills in their communities and society.
Ukhozi means Eagle…to soar…to encourage the girls to “Be powerful, strong, beautiful and most importantly to be themselves”
WHAT WE DO?
Ukhozi Girls Club aims to empower young girls to achieve their dreams ,visions and goals. Our vision runs on the following project program:
- Community Service-for girls to learn what it means to be part of a community and that they can make a difference at any age. They visit orphanages/elderly homes and do community/beach cleanups.
- Educational & career development workshops-to inspire girls to think about their future and continue onto an institute of higher learning. They discuss topics about various issue affecting women e.g. drugs, sex, alcohol, early pregnancy and invite motivational speakers.
- Healthy and Life Skills-to provide activities that are fun, inviting and backgrounds that promote healthy and positive decision making, build their self-esteem and sense of responsibility (cooking classes and self care activities)
- Arts – strive to give opportunity for self-expression. It will help the ladies think creatively and build confidence in their talents (drama, poem, dance, artwork ,writing, marimba, singing and beading)
- Sport and Recreation – they build friendships, make new friends and learn about team work (play basketball, tennis, go for camps)
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Come give a motivational talk
- Sponsor trips/excursions
- Sports kit (basketball/tennis)
- Funding for marimba instruments and classes
- Baking utensils and classes
- Self-care beauty products
- Educational stationary
- Funds to keep the project going (Admin, projects, logistics etc)
- Build a club house
- Sponsor refreshments for meetings
We hold our meetings at Sinenjongo High School.