In a nutshell…
o We give you 1 recycling bag per collection
o You fill bag with recyclable materials (glass, tin, paper, cardboard, plastic) (all in one)
o Some people do separate bottles. This is cool – but not necessary.
o Tie the bag nice n tight so we don’t have stuff flying around the hood
o Tying the bag is super important – especially in summer when the Cape Dr thumps through as well as when we pop the bag into the trailer – we don’t want trash flying around.
o You pop the bag out on the morning of collection
o Putting it below your postbox makes it a tad easier for us – cos as we collect we put 1 bag in your postbox
o We collect as many bags as you put out – so you can use your own bags
o Why do you only give us one bag? We buy the bags so to keep costs down for everyone – we only give one bag.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Why do you need to pay?
- 100% Job creation project for some unemployed people from Joe Slovo & Phoenix
- 6 people are directly employed from this project. 2 collectors, 3 sorters, 1 admin and we are looking at expanding by another 2 people by the end of 2016
- Covers basic admin/transport/petrol costs
- Poverty alleviation/skill development
- We are not City of CT subsidised
- Easier than going to a drop off facility
Some frequently asked questions…
o Should I get an extra bin? You can – depending on space in your house.
o Should I get an extra wheelie bin? Up to you. We can assist with a colourful one
o Can we put food in? Nope – that should be going onto a compost heap
o Must we rinse the tins and tubs out? Yes please – we sort the items and if it’s not rinsed it stinks like a rotten egg. Plus when the item goes for actual recycling then it needs to be clean.
o What about water restrictions? Good question – use old dishwashing water or even a bucket of borehole water.
o Must I leave it to dry? Preferably yes – otherwise the water makes the bag sweat and we hit that rotten egg smell again
o That paper plate that your friends used at the braai on the weekend…its paper yes – but it is soiled – so keep that OUT please.
o Sweet chilly sauce bottles (or similar) flippen love sweet chilly sauce – who doesn’t just please – when its finished give it a quick rinse and leave the lid off (but also put it in the bag)
o Cardboard won’t fit in the bag. Indeed – sometimes it doesn’t – flatten the box good and solid and put it under the bag when you pop it outside – so that it doesn’t blow away.
o Why should I not just take it to the dump? Then it doesn’t necessarily get recycled. Round trip cost to the dump is about R25 per trip…two of those and you’ve supported employ 5 people with our project.
o Can I not just take it to the bins at some shopping malls. Indeed, an option – they however only take glass and paper…what about tin/plastic/cardboard.
How do we pay?
2 x billing options
Prepay the year in advance = R40 per month. R480
2 x 6 month bills of R300.
- Partnering with existing recycling projects.
- Educating people on the environmental benefits of recycling.
- Educating people on the health benefits of recycling.
- Educating people on the revenue potential of recycling.
- Equipping and inspiring people to start up their own business.
- Township Tours in Du Noon and Joe Slovo Park.